Friday, July 3, 2009

Days 54-57 (Fri-Mon May 22-25, 2009)

Memorial Weekend in Nebraska...

Friday, May 22...Excited to start the weekend with my wife and go see some of my greatest friends, I discovered an alarming absence of water flowing from the faucets in our room at the Navy Lodge. Crap! A shower is one of the few luxuries I enjoy to get my day started...and they robbed me of it...whoa is me. As it turns out, the Fire Department was working on one of the fire hydrants this morning and they underestimated the duration of the draught. Fortunately, within an hour and a half, we were blessed water once again and I could resume my day.

Before heading out of Manhattan, Isabella and I decided to head back to The Chef restaurant for breakfast. We had visited this place once before on Isabella's previous visit and enjoyed it thoroughly. This time was no exception.

By 1100, we hit the road and over the course of 2 hours, found our way to the Payne's house in Lincoln, NE. After settling in and introducing Isabella to Dylan and Drew (Brian's boys), who affectionately called her "Abella", we all piled into the Payne minivan and headed to the Embassy Suites Hotel to link up with John and Hilary Hutt, their kids, Ryan and Lindsey and John's parents. We sat in the lobby, ate Italian food and soaked up the moment...what a good night.



(Me with Drew, Dylan and Ryan)


(Me, John and Brian...been a long time since we were all together.)

Saturday May 23...This morning, the Payne's invited all of us to the YMCA for their weekly getaway, where the kids played in the pool and Isabella and I worked out. Afterwards, we returned to the Payne's house for a Memorial Weekend BBQ. This was fantastic! Melissa, Brian's wife, had her family over and in addition to the Hutt's, John's parents came as well. Great food and wonderful friends...tough to ask for more than that. The night ended with Brian and I meeting up with John at his hotel and an opportunity for the guys to grab a beer and reminisce. Having known Brian and John for the better half of my life and growing up with them in Billings, it has been remarkable how close we have remained despite our geographical distances. I couldn't ask for better friends.


(John with Ryan and Lindsey at the YMCA pool.)


("Abella" with Dylan and Drew...pay attention Drew.)


(Drew and I...that is one crazy smile)


(Brian and John watching over the kids.)


(Awww, my sweetheart.)

Sunday May 24...The Payne's were kind enough to let Isabella and I accompany them to church this morning. Following the service, Isabella and I ventured off on our own. We headed into downtown Lincoln and made our way to Haymarket Farmers' Market; a very cool area of downtown with some trendy spots to eat. We enjoyed a great afternoon together and after picking up some souvenir Nebraska Cornhusker gear, we headed back to the Payne's. Come evening, we met up with the Hutt's and we all went to Chucky Cheese for pizza and "good times". The kids had a blast. As an added bonus, Brian's sponsor family from his days at the Air Force Academy were driving through Lincoln and were able to join us for pizza. They were incredibly friendly people and fun to visit with.




("I feel uncomfortable...")


(The Paynes and Brian's sponsor family.)

Monday May 25...Last day in Lincoln before heading back to Fort Riley. With the Hutt's and us leaving today, we all decided to head to the park for a picnic...and to let the kids play. The park was set near a lake and quite beautiful.


Isabella and I had a wonderful time and are so thankful to have had the opportunity to spend the weekend with two of my closest friends and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment