Saturday, May 16, 2009

Days 31, 32 (Wednesday & Thursday April 29, 30, 2009))

"Roger Roger, what's your vector Victor?", Over.
(Airplane, the movie)

I'm combining these two days because they were pretty much the same.  This was our introduction to "Comms" or communications via several different radios.  I don't know that I've said this in a while, or if at all, but I am getting to do things that I never thought I would.  I suppose, this is my true introduction to the military...I'm getting to play soldier now.  


However, please do not let my words slight the importance of all the Army is teaching us.  I appreciate all the teaching and while I hope I don't have to utilize much of it, I will be as ready as I can with the time they've given me.

Anyway, back to "Comms".  Essentially, they taught us how to use 4 or 5 different radios to communicate with one another (for example: from Hum-V to Hum-V or Hum-V to Base or Hum-V to Aircraft)  While this was fairly interesting, most of the information was presented in such a fast manner that it was difficult to initially get a grasp.  But, by the end of the first day, the proverbial picture was much clearer.

Good tools to possess, but as the three day weekend approached by 1500, Andrew, Mike, Josh and I were on the road, heading for Kansas City International Airport for a trip back to San Diego.  We got into San Diego by 2300 and Isabella was waiting in the airport for me...how great to see her.  We gave Mike a ride to his house in Coronado and completely surprised his family; you see, he didn't tell them he was coming home.  This was Mike's first trip back to see his family since coming to Kansas.   Good times...good times.

(One of the many radios they taught us to use)
(Lt to Rt: Travis, Mike, & Jerry...Mike has no idea what's going on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment