Wednesday, April 15, 2009




Day 17  (Wednesday April 15, 2009)...finally caught up.

Got up late today, 0630.  Some of our Navy crew put on the body armor and went for a hike this morning at 0530.  I felt compelled to get my beauty sleep and opted out of the exercise.  However, due to the lights being turned on in our communal living area, it was more difficult than not, to continue sleeping.  (Here comes the segue.)  To promote darkness in the early morning, I placed a sheet at the end of the bed and took my poncho liner and tied it up on the open side.  This provides me with a bit more privacy too.  Mike (my bunk mate) has dubbed my little hideout, the Hooch.  I think it's a reference to the Playboy Grotto, but I assure you, in the confines of our 40 man suite, it is all quite innocent.  

We were back in class again by 0800 and done by 1445.  I went on a 1.5 mile run and headed to the gym.  But, the night wasn't done.  We, as a class, had a cultural role playing exercise at 1800.  Two of our team members, with their Afghanistan interpreter, sat down with two Afghan soldiers and had a meeting.  The interpreter and soldiers were actual Afghans and spoke in Dari (their language), simulating what it would be like during the initial meeting we will eventually have with our counterparts (counterparts is our term for the Afghans we will be working with).  I have included a picture above.  The rest of us stood around to witness and critique the interaction.  

That's it for tonight.  Still tired despite my extra rest this morning.  Off to the Hooch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment